Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Day Eleven



And we're BACK on the road again - you getting tired?  WE are!!  
 WHY am I so excited?  I rode in a little black cab!!  I don't know why that excites me so much, but I have always wanted to ride in one and they were across the street at the other "more expensive" hotel and I asked how much to get us to Paddington Station (knowing it's close) he estimated 10 pounds... I thought about it - to add two tickets to our Oyster cards would have been 6lbs AND lugging luggage in and out of tube stations, up and down stairs.. heck yeah - we'll take it!!  So in we hopped (yes, you can tell we're tired when I grab cabs!!)
 And on to another first class ride to Cardiff - too bad these are all short rides of 3 hours or less.

 MUCH more empty seats on this train - very few reserved and different class of first class on this one too - theother train was "Virgin" as in Virgin Airline types, I'm sure... and was a LOT more classy.  The bathrooms on this train really reminded me of the ones from the 80s when Suz and I were traveling throughout europe!  The Virgin ones were HUGE and high tech.  Not so with these!  Ah, well, it's good to see the difference when traveling, I think!

 Our snack cracked me up!
 SO LUSH!!!

CARDIFF WALES:
Our guest house is in the red buildings and about 1/2 way down.... we were on the 3rd (2nd EU folks as the bottom floor is ground not first) floor.
 What you don't see is the graffiti to the left of us or the garbage and broken bottles on that street... I just didn't have the heart to take those types of pictures... I should have.

 It was a cute room really - and the beds were comfortable.
 the view that no-one could see.. I couldn't see - even on my tip toes.

what that window was REALLY used for - hahaha!

With the area, we just weren't comfortable hanging out after dark as when we exited after getting settled the first time I said excuse me to a man sitting on the steps. When he moved all I could see a small packet in his hand that after a lot of speculation was probably heroin... yeah... drugs on the doorstep - yuck!!  We made sure we were in the room before sunset!!

Our tour for Dr. Who was set for the next day at 11ish... so we decided to stay put and suck it up... it's just a room, right???

Cardiff was hard for me in more ways than one.  When we got here on the train, rather than walk to the guest house - as we weren't sure where it was in relation to where we were, nor how long of a walk it would really entail... and remember we are getting VERY tired now... and have little patience for much... we decided to take a cab from the train to the hotel.  I had 20 pounds and was trying to conserve as I needed to get to a bank - this was my last CASH.  So we showed the cab driver the Google map of where the hotel was as well as the address and he STILL went the wrong way and then didn't stop and let us out when I said "we'll walk from here"... so it cost me TWICE what it should have because of his stupidity and mine for not just opening the door right there and saying "let me out."  So... I was broke coming into town, the directions in the town on busses was lacking, and we couldn't even get OUT of the train terminal without help as you needed to scan out and Britrail passes don't have barcodes... so you see, it's already not starting OFF well.  Then add to it the walk up, the lack of window, the heat, the SUPER confusing bus routes.... yeah.  Not happy.

So we ventured out to find a bank and get some cash and stumbled upon the market - it was AWESOME, but also closing... but we got some great olives with feta and spicy olives.  For dinner "proper" we had found a local small store and purchased sandwiches to add to the mix - well, Angela got a salad and I got a mixed plate with salad and falafel and such.  And with that we headed back to the room.  When we got there and cooled back down (thus the bra mobile) and settled in for the night with a nice shower we started to eat our dinner while I attempted to figure out the bus routes.  Really - try to find you way from point A to point B via their website.  There isn't one single map with overlaying bus routes, just individual routes... on the signs at the bus stops it's even better - one big map with lettered bus stops with KP, KL and such so to find one that goes from KP to JF you have to go through the WHOLE list of busses and find one that goes to BOTH bus stops - and very few do!!  So, I"m sitting there and I bite into my tomate and it exploded and sprayed ALL the way across the room to the wall, over Angela, over her bed... EVERYWHERE... we laughed and laughed and cleaned up!! ha!

No comments: