Thursday, April 24, 2014

New Jobs

After 7.5 years with one system, I have moved to a new job.  Why?  Well, it was time.  I had mentioned to my supervision that I was ready for a new challenge.  AND I'm afraid it was starting to show in my attitude of dealing with some problems over and over and over...  I hope not, but the reality is that the outside offices didn't seem to sad to see me go, so, yes, it was time. 


Believe it or not I started with this team (not the exact same players, but close) in 2002 (January) when I started at Robins AFB, I worked with this system for a year, then moved to PC support from 2003 until 2006.  In 2006 I came back again to this system where I had been until the 14th of this month.


That is a long time in one position.


I had been offered the chance for a new challenge a few years prior and didn't take the offer seriously enough as I didn't feel like I had a handle on my current job  yet.  In retrospect, I don't think in a highly challenging and active job like I had that one EVER gets a handle on the job totally - it's like trying to rope a runaway train while you're standing on the ground. 


Hindsight being what it is, I told myself if the opportunity ever came up again I would NOT say no.  No matter what the offer was and no matter how it would scare me.  A co-worked down the hall was in a position she wasn't thrilled with and wanted to switch with someone/anyone.  Management chose to offer us the opportunity to do a direct swap - same grade, same pay, just different jobs. 


When first offered the opportunity to do a job swap with someone on in our area it was a much scarier position to me that I really thought twice about as it would really push me out of my comfort zone... but even to the very scary job I said  yes.  I did my best not to let my reluctance show and I'm pretty sure I was successful in that effort.  Within 10 minutes supervision was back in my office recanting that offer (must have been a miscommunication) and offering me the job I did swap for.  I'm not sure why I was thinking this job was less scary either.  it's not as technical, however it is more about managing people rather than a system.


The proposition was presented to both parties and I was honest about the level of intensity.. she was equally honest as to why she didn't like her position.  The issues with her job is a management issue with personnel and resentments as she was brought in from an outside organization and promoted people already in place.  I'm sure I'll face similar issues with my move - I've heard rumblings, however I haven't met a challenge I can't meet head on yet.


The decision was really in her court as she was still undecided if she would accept the swap.  As I said I was already committed to NOT turning down any opportunities, no matter the fear factor.  She told me she needed the night to think and pray on the decision.  She came back the next morning with the answer of "yes" she would agree to the swap.  Part of me was scared, part of me was elated. 


I am taking a step back from a busy, busy system and moving more into a supportive role in that I'm no longer working with maintenance on the base, but with admin in SharePoint. Will this be the same challenge it was in the other system?  No, it won't.  My challenge in the new job is PEOPLE... now THAT scares me.  Will I be a good leader?  Will I be able to do what needs to be done?  Not a clue, but I'm up for the challenge!!

No comments: