Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Updates from Rehab

Well, all the siblings have gotten mom’s update about our adventures this week.  Trips to car repair places, drives up to Macon to visit Daddy-o in rehab.

 

It was really nice to meet his Physical therapist and get some more info on his leg/hip and the issues he’s been seeing there.  He’s had a lot of hip pain and they have x-rayed him to make sure it wasn’t broken or damaged in any way.  It’s not.  Mostly it’s “low tone” issues.  Now, I have heard all those terms when dealing with the preemie boards and Cerebral Palsy issues, etc.. so if you don’t get what I’m talking about holler and I’ll fill you in.  Basically his muscles are just what it says – having low tone – they’re too relaxed and letting his hip socket sort of “slosh around” which is not good for a hip.  Add to this, since he has limited movement/mobility in that leg, he’s NOT moving it enough… and after hearing that I looked him dead in the eye and said “hum, you need to MOVE more”… ha!  Gary said we should come to PT and tell him that as well – “move more” hahaha.  I told him we weren’t allowed to go to his PT sessions or we would come and be his cheer leaders.  This, as you read in mom’s update (well, only if you’re one of her kids) was got us invited to his PT session today.  Yeah – we finally get to see what he’s up to in this PT stuff.

 

Now Gary also updated us with his accomplishments and the fact he had moved more than 30 feet with minimal assist.  He’s not holding him up; he’s simply pushing the left foot forward as Dad’s hip/low tone isn’t getting the job quite done yet on pulling that foot forward.  He also said he was a “super star” in rehab and always doing as he’s asked and not complaining or quitting.  So these are all great things to hear.

 

I’m not impressed with the reactions to his nutrition at this point… and the fact that I’m sure he’s down a little more in weight and only being given broth and Jell-O when he really needs the energy to get the muscle and strength.  However VERY happy that someone finally listened that it’s the SMELL that is doing him in, nothing more.   The nausea med is one that melts under his tongue – Zofran.  So they are finally listening and it seems to be having the desired effect.  NOW we need Dad to speak up and ask for it when he’s going into OT as its’ right next to the kitchen and he commented that his stomach starts to do flips when he smells all the foods.  We’ll see if he’ll start to do that – I think once you get to feeling ill, there is no going back… but maybe this will work for him.  Time will tell on that one.

 

Oh, and he’s off his Coumadin as well lately – I guess his levels were too high there for a while, now he’s in therapeutic ranges, but he’s not on it… so they will wait and see what the doc will do about that issue.  I asked about Plavix, but was told it’s not a thinner, it’s an anti “stick together” med, so it doesn’t reduce the amount of cells, just discourages them from clotting…. So an ant clotting factor, but not a thinner.  I don’t get why it not be an option, but that’s up to the docs to decide which will be the best for his situation.

 

Other than that, Dad gets a field trip to see the gastro person tomorrow – I guess they want to rule everything else out as he’s having such issues with eating… then again, I am highly opinionated and hear him when he says the smells make him want to hurl.  It’s been consistent since the stroke.  He does not do well with strong smells.  I guess mom will have to figure out what smells trigger him when he gets home.

 

Speaking of home, we’re making some minor changes to the house to accommodate both Mom and Dad – I’ll get some feedback from dad on placement of the grab bar in the shower.  I have Steve coming out to install that as it will take some bolstering between the shower and the 2x4’s in the wall (inserts aren’t right against the 2x4’s and I remember this from when we took our shower out).  I’ll quiz dad on how he thinks he can do getting in and out of the shower with just a handle on the right as he enters the shower, or if he would be more comfortable with one just outside the shower door that would go from wall to floor as well…. that one we can wait on a bit more, as we can have someone there to assist until we can better assess his strengths and weaknesses in that area.  For now mom is leery to make any big changes until we find out just how much will be needed when he gets home.

 

And so, the Saga continues.  I’m trying to get on a schedule and the $%^&*  schools keep messing with me!  I had Liz’s schedule down pat… Monday’s and Wednesday’s she had practice until 5:00pm, Tuesdays/Thursdays from 6pm to 9pm.  So, I was planning on getting her at 5:00 on Monday and then heading to Dad’s..   Yeah, that got shot to heck… she is now out at 5:30 M/W  AND to add insult to injury, she’s also switched back to afternoons on T/Th to boot.  #$%^&*() freaking schools don’t think we parents have anything better to do that adjust our schedules constantly?  Really?  The child needs her own car, but the husband (yes, I’m talking about YOU Butch) wants her to work for it.  Something about responsibility.  Ok, I really think she’s responsible.  She gets good grades, she does what she’s supposed to do 99% of the time – she’s just not actively seeking a job, but really?  Isn’t working at school and maintaining a 90% GPA (with advanced classes) for her ENTIRE high school career enough to qualify you as responsible?  REALLY?  Sigh.  So I really think a car is for MY sanity more than for her enjoyment.  But, hey, what do I know… I apparently am the only one sweating when I can’t get in touch with her after school after she texts me with an “I’m coming out in just a second” from someone elses phone and I can get in touch with NO ONE to tell her to get her own ride home… ½ hour later the hubby leaves work to get her… really?  I’m more of a “drop everything and dash out there” type… he’s more of an amble out there apparently.  Sigh.  My sanity is seriously on shaky ground right now and having that extra worry out there just isn’t helping.

 

I DO have Angela with ONE make up test happening tomorrow; however, I think I can make that one without issue…. Or so I say.  HA!  My boss told me about a class being held on the 27th… I told her I could promise her nothing…  and really I can’t promise anything at this point.  Who knows what will happen tomorrow that will pull me away?  I can’t tell ya.

1 comment:

gomikie said...

Thanks. Realize that progress is slow when you are living it each day but rehab does seem to be moving along. Too bad about the eating though. I'm surprised he can stand the ensure ... tried it when Jo needed extras after heart surgeries ... she hated it and I forced it down her knowing how bad it was to me.

Not my business but maybe Butch can sign up for a third car. Not hers, but one that Elizabeth can use to go to school and home ... and can "earn" its use in helping chauffering Angela when its inconvenint for you/Butch. Restrictions like not being everyone elses ride home and about might make it more palletable. Might also make it easier for girls to visit M&M when He gets home. Mike