Monday, December 30, 2013

The party's over....

Christmas was a wonderful adventure. Sally was able to come down to spend the week with us. She came down on Monday and I was able to join her with time off as I only went to work on Monday of that week.

We drove out to look at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve night. It was sadly funny in that we went to the places that were listed in the paper... and they were a sad affair of smaller lights and nothing really of note. We went to one that we hadn't been to in ages - it was an older man who used to have a train around his yard and apparently age has gotten the better of him and even his train was defunct at this point. Sad day. We were able to see quite a few cool lights on our adventures through some neighborhoods and found some that were much prettier than anticipated and one in particular that really was great off of 41 north of town - I need to load the video here later tonight (I'm cheating and emailing this update from work)

Christmas morning we actually had a child wake us up - that hasn't happened in a while. Angela was the first one up and getting everyone else motivated and out of bed. We dove in and ripped open packages and enjoyed a feast of muddy buddies for breakfast! We had a variety from peppermint, peanut butter and classic. Those things are addictive. We then dove into fixing Christmas dinner! What a feast we had with Ham, Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoe cassarole, greenbean salad, sauteed brussle sprouts - yum! Mom and Dad came over to the house to open their presents and to visit and have dinner.

The rest of our days were spent chatting and relaxing with a little shopping and a few returns here and there for bigger sizes of jammies, etc.. We did take one drive out to the Hotel Furniture outlet store in Forscyth GA.. We were able to find two VERY heavy lamps and two pieces of art for Liz's more adult oriented room and looked for a queen headboard. We didn't find a headboard, but the rest was all purchased and brought home to work on that transition.

Poor Sally got sick sometime during the week and was down and out on Saturday. :( She was up and about however not feeling well enough to venture to ATL with Liz, Angela and I when we went to Ikea.

The Girls and I had the adventure of a TON of people - we went straight to Ikea and straight out, but with traffic and everythign, by the time we were just leaving Ikea at 5:00 and were starving. Liz wanted Pizza so did an "around me" app on the phone and found a place. We drove over and thought "hum, looks a little "iffy"" drove past then drove right back over and pulled up and got out. We found out it wasn't the pizza place, that place was closed on Sunday - bummer. So we ate there - Gio's. It had been featured on the food network just that morning too - small world, eh? It was chicken. Angela got Chicken parmesean, Elizabeth got Diavola (spicey pepper)and I got Almafi (green olives and onions) and they were all to die for! After that, we had to inaugerate Elizabeth into the Varsity for an orance shake (like a dreamcicle in a cup). She had to agree it was tasty (and on the way to the freeway too, so win/win!) And with that we were on our way home! The traffic and the amount of people was scary on the roads. When we were driving up I had seen the traffic at a dead stop on the way south and really thought that was what it would be like when we headed home, however, we were in luck, we had a LOT of slowdowns, but never true stops. It still took us about 1.5 times longer to get home than normal. Good thing I don't mind driving, eh?

And with that my little staycation was drawn to an end. :( Back to work and reality today - and an all day effort to sneak time in to draft out this update!

No comments: