We moved to a hotel closer to the center of town for walking. I say We, but it was me who moved. Meagan came into town on Sunday where I came into town Saturday and the hotel I wanted to stay at didn't have availability on Saturday as well, so I stayed in the Hilton. So - I moved. it wasn't much difference in the drive out to the base in the morning for support work, so that was good. And with longer days and Spanish dinners don't start until 8pm. yep, kitchens don't open until 8 pm. This is NOT great for folks who work military hours, but it IS good for sight seeing. :)
huge doors... that are to a...
convent. Yep, a convent in the middle of downtown Seville. I wonder what is in there? If there are pretty courtyards, etc..
another plaque on the other side of the convent... I haven't translated it, but for those that know Spanish you can check it out.
During our wanderings we stumbled acorss this chapel
The bad news is that after this chapel there was a bit of an upset with me and my constitution... and we had to take a drive via taxi back to the hotel so I could get supplies and clean up. Sigh. These bowels of mine. UGH. Oh, well, I went back to the hotel and did what needed to be done, then rested a minute and took a taxi RIGHT back out there!!
SUPER tempted to get this cute bull platner for the wall - talk about adorable!!!
Note the grass growing out of the roof tops? You may think they are on rooftop patio's and such... they are not. How do I know? This:
I had two angels on these sunflowers... they are, indeed growing out of the tiles up there. I'm surprised at just HOW much foliage is growing out of the buildings around here. For those of us who know that root systems will break the concrete over time I question why they don't make more of an effort to maintain this and remove the growth. It's weird.
Other sides of the chapel from prior. It wasn't open by the time we got to that side of the building, dratit!
Just a pretty view!
Plaza de España
I chuckle at the horse that is stretched through this and Meagans face shortened in this! ha!
I can crop out the bottom part and have a great view of the whole Spanish Plaza....
Selfies by the fountains.
Because sometimes you just have to echo what you see :D hahahaha!
The tile work!!! The ceilings with tile work... seriously!!!
Large establishing tile work that tells about the plaza
Flamenco dancers!
Scroll down fast and you can see them in motion. Life goals when I retire! Learn to flamenco and join a troupe to perform in public :)
On the way back, we saw a LOT of cats in this large moat of a ditch... LOTs - like 20 These were the favorites as there were two kittens... and what is that black blog on the wall????
Yep, that was a black cat with all four paws hanging out the hole... just chillin... it was cleaning itself from time to time,but eventually just laid there and ignored the world :) I took a video to send the girls, they wanted me to bring them all home.
THEN we walked by this hotel. I want to stay here ONCE... it's beautiful!!
These hooded figures are EVERYWHERE. They are
Capirote
History[edit]
Historically, the flagellants are the origin of the current traditions, as they flogged themselves to do penance. Pope Clement VI ordered that flagellants could perform penance only under control of the church; he decreed Inter sollicitudines ("inner concerns" for suppression).[2] This is considered one of the reasons why flagellants often hid their faces.
The use of the capirote or coroza was prescribed in Spain and Portugal by the holy office of Inquisition. Men and women who were arrested had to wear a paper capirote in public as sign of public humiliation. The capirote was worn during the session of an Auto-da-fé. The colour was different, conforming to the judgement of the office. People who were condemned to be executed wore a red coroza. Other punishments used different colours.
When the Inquisition was abolished, the symbol of punishment and penitence was kept in the Catholic brotherhood. However, the capirote used today is different: it is covered in fine fabric, as prescribed by the brotherhood. Later, during the celebration of the Holy Week/Easter in Andalusia, penitentes (people doing public penance for their sins) would walk through streets with the capirote.
The capirote is today the symbol of the Catholic penitent: only members of a confraternity of penance are allowed to wear them during solemn processions. Children can receive the capirote after their first holy communion, when they enter the brotherhood.
This chapel was closed, but one further down was open... it was a much poorer church as you will see from the photos.
That is the mesh to keep the birds and/or parts of the paint from coming down on parishioners? Either way it's not sunbeams!
gotta love th HUGE doors with the smaller doors inset for humans to walk through.
AND since this is olive country, it was imperative to have olives this night for dinner... and they disappointed. They were NOT what I thought they would be. It didn't keep me from eating them (and didn't help that Meagan doesn't like them!) so I ate a few... because they were there... sad reason. They weren't horrible, but they were not something I would order and pay for if I had to - these came with the table.
This is the ceiling IN the restaurant and it's not a fancy place, but that ceiling!!!
THIS is what was for dinner tonight. This area is famous for their pork. I got a kabob that was steaks and porks and delish!!! The night prior was pork cheeks at a pub up the road from this one...also just as good!
Miles walked 6.x Gelato was justified going to AND from town LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment