Saturday, May 11, 2019

Day two - Catania

Work took us through later in the afternoon today, but that's OK there was still more than enough daylight between when we quit work and when kitchens open here... so we took the 'Back" way out of base to repeat what we had seen the day prior with the following: 
Wild flowers abound in the spring.
 There is a red lichen in there with a single catcuts... aquaducts of old... filled with cacti.  What a juxtaposition....

 

 distance shot for reference...with Mount Etna in the back ground...  VERY LARGE nest...
 The day prior we were able to see  baby storks heads sticking above the edge of the nest... today, they were a bit shyer.  AND it's on a fairly busy road so impossible to really have a spot to pull off and get a picture... there were no true pull offs, so I just pulled over and snapped a few shots out our windows.  HUGE birds.  NOW I know why they thought they could carry babies for delivery...

 these flowers were outside my window while waiting to cross this bridge:

Back in town we discovered we would have enough time to walk up to the castle and get some pictures and tour the museum.  It was a wet rainy walk.. but as luck would have it where I was NOT prepared for cold weather, I WAS prepared for wet as I had a poncho in my purse.  Yep, I have been carrying that folding poncho in my purse for heaven knows how long and I put it to good use on the walk to the castle.  Hind sight being what it is I could have used that poncho for a wind break on the mountain... whoops!!  ha!

 why pictures of ceilings?  I'm amazed in the 1500's that they had the technology to erect such ceilings and how well they have stood the test of time. 

Also this castle was on the water front unil there was an eruption and lava flowed around it.. making it about a mile from the sea, but not touching the actual castle itself.  Amazing.

Art work... this one isn't crooked, I just couldn't get the panorama working right...











We also had a chance to tour a chapel while walking back into town...

 AND some snacking while having a drink and watching people go by.


Then off to the "twinkly alley" for dinner...
 SHE ASS meatballs... hahahahaaha!  I didn't get them, but it made me chuckle

 And because when you go to the potty, look up and see a MONKEY holding a light, you HAVE to take a picture - ha!!  I did comment to my co-workes that this was NOT the place to get drunk - good LORD look at those tiles on the floor!!!  urp!!!   *I was not drinking at this point, just pointing out that floor is quite scary!!


I guess the food was NOT impressive for this part of the trip - and it wasn't really... it was pizzas a lot of the time... I didn't take pictures because I was either hungry or they simply were NOT that impressive by now... it was just food... nothing to (literally) write home about! 

No comments: