We went to see Checkpoint Charlie. It’s only .5km from our hotel but I had been “saving it”. Hahaha.
We have lots of days here so I’m pacing myself but Butch likes to walk. I’m DYING. I have zero stamina. I make it 5 miles and I’m DONE. He just goes and goes and goes then stops at 5pm. It’s strange. But I’m adjusting to his travel style.
So today. Checkpoint Charlie. Interesting.
Leaving East Belin going into checkpoint...
Then turned around to go back to the East section.
So what’s sully is that I never u defat oof that “West Berlin” was really an island of freedom in the middle of occupied Germany. Seriously never got it. Like ever. Until now. Should I adjust this? There was a wall around “West Berlin” but it was really an island of Berlin. Very strange concept to me that this island of freedom could exist in a sea of USSR occupied area. I really need to read up on the whole Germany and Russia and USSR boundaries.
Talk about empty. Not flooded with tourists. Then again of was 9am on a Thursday. Go figure.
Looking East again.
Walking towards the west. Along where the wall was in the past.
Near the ministry of flight. How appropriate, eh?
Then onto sad history. This was a very sad sight but very informative. That is yet another section of wall. This time we are on the west side.
This was a display with before the war and after the war with the distraction that happened.
Reading the history of the horrible things that one human can do to another is heart breaking. Hearing these people say they were following orders was something that hits close to home with military. That is what military does. They follow orders. These people were no different. Follow orders or die was the option. For that most were imprisoned or put to death after. They were all stuck in a war they some , I’m sure, didn’t support. Really makes you wonder if you would have the fortitude to stand up for your beliefs and fellow humans. I hope I NEVER have to find out.
So after that sadness we sat outside a while basking in the sun and reflecting. Then took a walk a few more blocks over to get some lunch. I know seems sort of disrespectful to go straight to lunch, but we really didn’t. It was a bit of time between.
Lunch today was Indian. Mmmm
Samosas
Lamb tiki masala, lamb something or nother ( the green one). It was a little spicy (German spicy will be our new term...meaning THEY say it’s spicy and we think it has some flavor!) super tasty which is good because we are averaging one big meal a day and light dinner. Today was a sandwich shop with 1/2
Sandwich each and some pasta salad and I added a coconut chocolate goodie to my order :)
mall of Berlin. Fairly close to us. 1km.
We had to walk through once and stopped inside for a potty as well ;)
The Memorial to the murdered Jews in Europe.
Honestly I thought there was more to this. Maybe we came at it from the wrong direction and missed the “information” portion? Hard to know. There is a definite downhill slope and the pillars get taller as you go in further. We didn’t walk down into them.
This art was lost on me.
But 1/2 block away was Brandenburg gate. BIG gate. Big Platz in front.
To the right if the gate picture above is the back of The Reichstag. Also impressive. By this time my feet are saying ENOUGH. But nope. We’re walking back to the hotel. I need to stand up for myself and say “hell no” and get in a train. But nope. I trudged one knowing that part of what he was saying g was true. We needed to stop off at Lidel for waters and hoped to find a shop for a light dinner - which we did. A sandwich shop. We got a nice fochia bread sandwich with motzarella and tomato. And a pasta salad to split AND I added a coconut chocolate concotion for dessert. Mmmm Butch doesn’t like coconut so I was safe. Ha!
We did sit for a minute on the backside of the Reichstag overlooking the river and the library. Yes, that’s a library over there!!
And we made it home with waters, dinner and we are officially done for another day as we sat down in the room around 6:00. On our feet walking most of the day.
Tomorrow is a drive to Poland to see some polish pottery and do some shopping :) it’s the little things in life. I think I shall replace my pampered chef covered baker with a polish pottery decorated and pretty one :)
Christmas presents and all that fun stuff will be picked up as well. Fun times!!
No comments:
Post a Comment