We hit the highlights with knowing that Dad is going to rehab on Monday (I'll have you know every time I say "going to rehab" the Amy Winehouse song starts in my head!). That being said, there are a few medical updates.
Kidney swelling isn't any worse/better. They are in a 'watch and see' mode. I guess that's better than getting into a slice and dice mode. I'm OK with wait and see, however with the removal of liquids for over 12 hours, I think they have done a number on poor Dad. Now his urine is very very dark. (as in darker than tea dark... almost coffee dark.. maybe a weak coffee).
Yeah, I'm sure everyone in Blog-land is shaking their head. Believe me, so am I. I never thought that I would be critiquing my own fathers pee... but here we are. I guess in reality, as we age, this really should be what we know of and think will become the reality. Maybe it's because I was so young when my fathers mother was ill and I wasn't exposed as it was child. Mostly it would seem that it's the daughters who are involved in the care of elderly parents. It's not a bad thing, it's just the nature of the beast - we tend to be the caregivers later in life. Hum... wonder if this is why mom and dad moved closer to one of their daughters? Hum...
OK, I'm waxing poetic as I have a keyboard, a real keyboard to work with.. yeah. I stole Elizabeth's computer. Whoop!
So, anyway - kidneys have issues, but not bad ones. Urine dark, however nurses are not acting too concerned about that fact. Dad's getting mad because we're pushing and pushing nutrition and drinking of water which is really, really bugging him. I don't blame him and was trying to nicely tell him that mom is pushing him simply because she wants him stronger and healthier because she wants him to get stronger and well faster so he can come home. She doesn't want to live alone!
I understand where they are both coming from and I'm sure it's annoying as all get out to be pushed food all the time.. but it has to be for now. Maybe when he's in rehab and can't have us around to bug him at all meals and have a LOT more and different friendly faces who are having the same or similar issues as him it will be a blessing for both of them.
The bottom line is that most of the physical issues seems to be behind him, now it's the long road back to getting back to daily life and improving function so that he has mobility. Right now that's the biggest goal.
Something that I haven't talked about is progression in rehab IN the hospital. I think this is the third day rehab proper. He was sitting in the chair for a few times after coming back to the room, however I think the nurses put a stop to that as they aren't that familiar with the tools that are used to get those needing a lot of assistance up and into bed again. As of yesterday he graduated from stretcher for his return to returning in a wheel chair. I think this morning they took him down in a wheel chair as well, however, I'm not sure - as Mom and I had bailed out just as they had finally come to get him for rehab. Anyway - he's still a three person assist in and out of bed. Two strong men can do it, however, he's not got enough strength back in his leg to really help out enough at the end of a session downstairs, so it's a bit harder for him to assist as much as needed for little nurses (sorry nurses everywhere, but if you're not trained in this, it's HARD - I can see that!).
Anyway, found out that he took a few steps the other day with a walker and today he took more steps with a hemi walker. The rehab folks are still trying to determine which walker will be best for him. I think that the hemi walker seems to be the answer for him with a weakened left arm/hand. However with time, and strengthening, maybe a full walker would be better for him. I guess we'll see what the true rehab gets him set up with.
The following shows someone walking with a hemi walker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1YhfI8HCXc
I'm always amazed when I find out just how much is effected with stroke - bowels, urinary, cognitive and response times. And I know it's trivial to me, but I'm sure it's mortifying for dad to have to have help. He's such an independent person. I did tell him roofs are OFF LIMITS now. ha - for those of you who know Mom has been saying this for years when he was going to someones house for the church who was having roofing done... and where would you find dad??? ON the roof. Sigh. Yep. at 80 years old, ON the roof. Goodness. I'm afraid if he gets mobile enough he'll go back on roofs... I told him they are TRULY off limits now. :op yikes!!
Ok, so I'm rambling now.
1 comment:
It's got to be so hard to lose your independence later in life. Kirk's mom is going through this right now. You know we are doing that addition for her. She will be living with us and completely dependent on us (me) for rides to doctors appointments and anywhere else she wants to go. She said she gets depressed about it. And my dad can't do ladders anymore or more than half the stuff he used to do including washing the car (which he was a star at!). It's gotta be rough. Poor Uncle Martin.
Post a Comment