Friday, August 25, 2023

A trip to Utah

 I finally made it out to Utah and had an adventure of a trip!

I left out on Friday a bit earlier than the last flight I took - I switched to the 6:30pm flight vs. the 7:45pm flight - lesson learned on that last one where I petered out just as I hit St. George and could NOT drive any further and got a hotel!  


Just coming into the someone area after a VERY smooth ride in!



Big storm front!!



Landing in Ontario California. Fun fact Liz was in LA at the time ;)

It would have been a great flight IF we didn't have a record breaking typhoon Hilary coming into California.  What an adventure.  We spent about an hour or more circling to the east of Las Vegas waiting to be released to land IN Las Vegas.  Las Vegas, however, was having it's own issues at the time.. they were having lightning strikes and rain.  They would open and close multiple times in that hour, however we were in a line of planes to land, so never got the chance.  We were then running low on fuel so we landed in Ontario California of all places.  Yep.  We sat in the airport for an hour or better, getting refueled and waited.  I had NO idea what we were going to face, would we get stranded in California overnight?  would we make it to Vegas?  Who knew?  The good news is our pilot was well within his hours to continue to the wee hours of the morning... so we waited.  We eventually got BACK in the air and had a bumpy ride to Las Vegas and landed about midnight.  YAWN.  This is now 3am my time AND I had cancelled my rental car not knowing when I would make it into town.... so off to rental cars I go.  I made a reservation on line while in the LONG line to the rental place - it was about 5 or 7 bus lengths long... seriously LONG line - who rents a car when coming TO Vegas, really?  I would think Uber and Lyft would be much cheaper than renting a car, but what do I know, maybe these folks were all doing what I was doing and going on from there.


Weeee hours of the morning driving north. Yawn. I think I had my coffee in hand by now!

Anyway, I made a reservation with Hertz, get to the front of the line and they tell me that they are NOT honoring last minute reservations... what the what?  Why not just NOT take reservations if you don't have cars silly people.  So to Avis I go and make a reservation while in line going there as well... THEY honor it... but they were telling everyone they only have trucks.. so I am prepared for a truck.  NOPE, I got offered a Charger or a Jeep Hybrid.  I chose the Jeep.  It got horrible gas mileage by the way!  Oh, well, I had a car... but it's NOW 1:30 am Vegas time... 4:30am my time... double yawn.  I was going to rent a hotel room but had issues getting a room for a few hours and paying over $100 - nope.  I drove over to the Orleans and slept in my car.

The GOOD news is that I had a duffle full of blankets to sleep with/on/use as pillows as I was taking 4 blankets to Linda to use as batting for quilts.  Bonus.  They were soft and I got about 4.5 hours of sort of decent sleep tucked in the back seat of the Jeep..  They are narrow so there was no stretching out, but it was good enough for what I needed.  I kept praying that rain would start and I would have had that nice sound to fall asleep to, no such luck.  Oh, well.  I got some much needed shut eye to the point I didn't hear the car pull up and park next to me.  I was under a street light, but honestly don't think anyone looked in the back of the car... either way I woke a few times, switched positions and went back out.  I got up about 5am and headed north.  Well, got a coffee then headed north :)  The coffee was from a truck stop and had a LOT of grounds in it so was apparently pretty strong - ha!  Worked for me.  I went straight to Mom's house, played some rummikub with her and waited for the rest of the crew to get ready for breakfast.

We went to breakfast Saturday and Sunday mornings and lunch or dinner as well, so that was nice for mom to get out and about.

We also picked veggies and berries out of Linda’s garden


What I picked that afternoon before the rain came in



Linda was still out there diving deep into the raspberries to get all she could!



We picked beans too but then forgot the in the garden in the rain. They got a good rinse! 


We also admired Sorensen memorabilia and tried to identify it all



I know there is a word for the style this is. They are Czech glass and enamel with beads embedded into the enamel. Very pretty and sparkly in the sunshine. 

This one is possibly Fostoria chrysanthemum pattern lemonade set. Regardless it is old and is lovely and has been in the Sorensen family for a long time. 




These were painted my my grandmother Leona Coles Sorensen  very pretty!  

Back to the travel pet of all this!

I was supposed to travel home on Monday and wouldn't you know it that was the date that the Typhoon Hilary was to hit Las Vegas.  After my last experience on the "practice storms" as they called them, I opted to change my flights (and with mom's convincing).  I rebooked first thing in the morning and about 3 hours later Delta came out with a notice that allowed me to change (yay me, ahead of the game!).  I altered my rental car with a click of a button and a bit of money as well.  Yay me, and extra day to hang out with mom.  

I had left overs from the Sunday's breakfast, so went to Mom's Monday morning and ate breakfast with her and played games most of the morning.  We went to the Nursery and got her a pot to replant her African Violet and then headed to lunch with Linda and Mike.  We also went grocery shopping and running around town all weekend so by the time Monday afternoon rolled around mom was beat.  She went to bed after a final round of rummikub and I went back to Linda's for a later dinner and visiting with them before bed.

The trip to Vegas was uneventful and the flight back was very nice with an extra seat between myself and the gentleman in the isle seat.  All in all a great weekend trip despite the snaffu on times and returns.  It all worked out like it was supposed to!






And the BEST news was when I got home I had a TON of boxes to go out in the mail!  Yay for eBay sales while I’m away!!



Ten sales while I was gone for those 5 days. Yay me!  Now to sell more!!

No comments: