...and WHY was day two a bit easier? Well, it's because we now have a CAR. yes, we rented a cute little VW wagon. It's little, but should hold all our luggage until we get our car - just in case we get a HOUSE before we get the car. Can you tell I have HIGH hopes for things to just "fall into place"?
Yes, I do. I hope we get a house fairly quickly and I get to stop hearing from everyone that I don't have an ID card and how *I* should somehow wiggly my nose and be able to force the powers to be to actually produce said paperwork.... SO. I'm getting an ear full most days. Sigh. Today in the BX I got told by the women in there that I really needed to press the ID office to get my ID. UH, yeah, because that works so well.
Anyway... what I failed to mention is that we didn't do ANYTHING this morning - aka NO work for me. :) I got up LATE and we got ready. We packed our laundry into a suitcase and headed out to get a cab go to get our rental car. That was fairly uneventful. Then we headed to base to seek out where exactly the laundromat IS. We didn't have any success finding it per the map we had looked it up on, so we went to talk to the folks and the inprocessing office. WOW is all I have to say. The gal who was a volunteer there was AWESOME!! I wish she had been there the day prior! She had lots of great advice and information and set us on the right path for quite a few things, one of which was a website for the base - whoo hoooooo... we can now make appointments to get things done like the local community introduction and the car registration (early, but hey, it's better than waiting until the car gets here!) as well as a few of the other things we need to do like a hospital tour. Hospitals here are very much specialized and if you go to a hospital that is just maternity and children, you will be turned away. So... for me, it's important to know just WHERE I need to go for my care with cancer history as well as the gyno things I need to have looked at.
Oh, yeah, you guys don't know about that. I had gone in for my 18 month check and there is a cyst on one of my ovaries that is new. Surprise!! The oncologist at home doesn't think that this is anything to do with cancer, however, he's not a gynecological oncologist, so we'll have to get that checked out by a gyno at a minimum, then they can tell me if it's something I need to be concerned with. I'm not really freaked out by it, but it is a concern and the doc said if I had been staying he would have had me get it checked out, so that's what we'll do - get it checked out. More to come on that subject later. :)
So - the rest of the day today was getting the car, getting to base and getting my first part of my in processing done. I got through an afternoon of introductions and will do a full day tomorrow... then have a few set appointments here and there. I went ahead and made an appointment with housing on Friday as well because I can't do anything with them until I actually have my meet and greet, so we're getting the initial brief done tomorrow and the meet and greet on Friday - then I have four houses I want to go see. They're all within a 1/2 hour drive to base, so that will make it close for a commute and then we'll see about going out to do other things further away with the gas money we'll save being closer to work. :)
What else? We came back to the hotel with me driving and I missed a major turn and ended up on an autostrada - ha! I just pulled off at the next exit and made my way back, no biggie. Butch is making me drive, which in a weird way is helping me adjust a bit faster as well. He's thinking he may not get a 2nd car and just take bus and trains everywhere, which is a definite options. There are lots around here. There are a lot of busses and trains to get you just about anywhere... it just takes much longer. Butch said "just what else am I going to be doing anyway?" Ha! Point taken, point taken. So... hopefully we'll go house hunting next week.
Other than the general news, it's super cold outside, but "do-able". Not something I look forward to, but something I can prepare for. I understand we don't get a lot of snow here either, just the colder temps and snow on occasions. I'm OK with that, I guess... don't really have a choice either. I did tell Butch next winter is a trip to spain or somewhere equally as warm.
SO looking forward to settling in and starting to travel around a bit and see a lot more!
tonights dinner was my first Sauerkraut and Bratwurst and gravy. You would think that gravy would NOT be good on sauerkraut, but it really was. With crusty bread as well on the side. quite tasty dinner! Butch had some schnitzel and fries and eats them with mayonnaise. You would think that is gross, but it's actually good. I had that last night with my chicken for dinner. It's not the normal mayo, it's a german mayo that is much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment