Saturday, September 8, 2012

My thoughts from Friday and a note from Mom....

To my defense, I have NOT had a computer for a very long time, so updating with a lot of "talking"   Pictures, yes, typing, no... it's hard on a cell phone.
Last night I got my disk restore from Dell - about time, that was a goat rope and a half.  I had put in the order via phone for a restore disk and they sent an EMAIL confirmation of the order and when I didn't respond, they cancelled the order.  DER... think I didn't respond because I didn't have a computer.  Dorks.  So, this time, I did it on line and did a link - and the disk finally got here.  WHOOP!  I started it setting up last night, but left to go visit Dad with mom.. Thursday I didn't get over to see Dad, I had kids here there in football games and practice.  So I stayed home, let Liz take the car to practice and caught up with poor Angela a bit.  So - the computer is now functional and getting loaded with all the necessary software... just one more task in the long line of tasks....

My take on the visit Friday was that dad is tired, but working towards the rehab and getting things moving on rehab and getting out of there.  The issue with the nausea is being addressed as of last night - the nurse is going to give him some meds that should help with the nausea, they'll time it before lunch and dinner in an effort to get his appetite back up and calm the nausea.

Anyway, this is what Mom has to say about the whole thing:

Dad was about the same last night, getting a little upset (which I think is one step better than depressed) with his condition but that is to be expected. Donna brought a Cribbage board but he wasn’t quite up to that yet but hopefully soon. He’s so tired and his muscles are sore after PT all day that he just wants to go to sleep. He said people come and stay too long and he’s not the type to be rude so I told him to not talk to them, slowly close his eyes and drift off to sleep and maybe they’ll get the hint. I don’t know though, Donna put a note on the hospital door to please keep their visits to 10 minutes because he needs his rest but they still stay a half hour or more. You get 2 or 3 visitors like that and it runs into hours of visiting. . I wish I could see what he’s doing in PT but they won’t let anyone visit during the day. He still won’t eat, hasn’t got his taster back and gets nauseous even smelling the food when they bring it in. I’m going to go shopping today and find some strawberry Boost or Ensure and see if he’ll drink that. I keep forgetting to tell the nurses that he drank that in the hospital. I’ll look for some little sugar free puddings too because they gave him Boost pudding in the hospital but said it was too sweet. I tasted it and it was way too sweet. We explained to the nurse about his nausea last night and she said she’d look into some medicine for it. But I know she’ll have to talk to a doctor before she can give him anything and it’s the weekend. So another waiting game. He’s lost 30 lbs and will keep losing if he doesn’t start eating. He looks good and that’s what he weighed when we got married but he needs the food for energy.


I drove over to Donna’s house yesterday and went with her to see Dad. She’s going to bring my car home today and we’re going to go get an estimate on getting it fixed. I turned too quick backing out of the garage Thursday ran into the side of the garage and did a number on the front fender and light. Mum’s the word because I don’t want Dad to hear about it and worry about me. The insurance deductable is only $250 and I get a free rental car while it’s being fixed so that’s not bad. I can drive it around town but the light is loose and I’m afraid to get on the freeway because it might come loose and fall out. It’s like my car’s eye has been knocked out of its socket but just loose and not dangling and the lights and signal still work. There’s also a dent in the fender and the bumper so they will both need to be replaced. Poor Slate (that’s my car’s name). I talk to him all the time and thank him for being such good dependable car then I beat him up. Ha.

Mike came over yesterday and mowed the grass and it looks nice. We’ve had lots and lots of rain and everything is growing including all the weeds. The YW are going to come on Wednesday night and weed Dad’s garden. I know they don’t realize how bad it is so I told the leader that they just need to do the tomatoes and peppers and maybe the YM can have a project for cleaning out all the rest that’s through producing. After they clean it all out I’ll have someone till it all up.

Everyone has been so kind in offering help in my time of need. I haven’t had to ask for much so far but I know that I will need more when he gets home. It’s good that it happened now after all the gardening, freezing and canning has been done and the grass won’t need mowing for much longer and we can concentrate on getting him well during the winter months. The back right signal light on the car went out and my HTer replaced it for me and when I needed a ride to visit Dad on Thursday a very good friend had previously told me that anytime I needed a ride to see him she would be glad to take me so she did. (Donna wasn’t able t go that night). My LDS neighbor up the road called and told me they were here for me anytime if I ever got scared at night or heard someone prowling around call them before I called 911 and they’d be here quicker than the police. That was so thoughtful of her. I put their number in big letters on the wall (clarification - it's on paper) by my bed so I won’t have to find my glasses and look up their number in the ward list. That gave me peace of mind even though I haven’t felt scared (yet). My Baptist neighbor came down for a visit the other day and commented on how good our church is about helping people, even not of our faith. So people notice. I am so thankful for my church friends.

So that’s it from here for now.
I love you all very much.
Mom

No comments: